There is no ‘one size fits all’ model for parenting. The Bible does not outline ’12 steps to successfully raise a child to be a follower of Jesus’.
The Bible does offer us insight and instruction, wisdom and guidance that informs who we are (identity), how we are called to live (mission), and what we invited to do (share the gospel, love people, be kingdom builders, pursue reconciliation). There are wise people/authors, not perfect people/authors, who provide some suggestions too. So there is no prescription. But there are supports as we find our way.
Here are a few books that I’ve enjoyed along the journey, learned from and recommend to families at our church.
- Children’s Ministry in the Way of Jesus, David M. Csinos & Ivy Beckwith
- Sticky Faith, Kara E. Powell & Chap Clark
- Theirs is the Kingdom, Robert Lupton
- Spiritual Parenting, Dr. Michelle Anthony
- Boundaries with Kids, Dr. Henry Cloud & Dr. John Townsend
- The Five Love languages of Children, Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell.
- How Children Raise Parents: The Art of Listening to Your Family, Dan B. Allender
- How to Talk so Kids Will Listen, Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish
- Siblings Without Rivalry, Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish
- Grace-Based Parenting. By Dr. Tim Kimmel
- Power of a Praying Parent, Stormie O’martian
- Raising Your Spirited Child, Mary Sheedy Kurcinka
- Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child, John Gottman
- Joining Children on the Spiritual Journey: Nurturing a Life of Faith, Catherine Stonehouse.
- Parenting is Your Highest Calling and 8 other Myths that Trap You into Guilt and Worry, Leslie Leyland Fields
- Making Children Mind Without Losing Yours, Kevin Leman
- Parenting in the Pew: Guiding Your Child into the Joy of Worship, Robbie Castleman.
- Parenting is Heart Work, Dr. Scott Turansky & Joanne Miller.
- Raising Kids Who Care: About Themselves, About Their World, About Each Other, Kathleen O’Connell Chesto.
- Raising a Modern-Day Joseph: A Timeless Strategy for Growing Great Kids, Larry Fowler.
- The Blessing: Giving the Gift of Unconditional Love and Acceptance, John Trent and Gary Smalley.
- Real Kids, Real Faith: Practices for Nurturing Children’s Spiritual Lives, Karen Yust and Eugene Roehlkepartain